Deal reached on relocating evicted California homelessFebruary 14, 2018 3:25am

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — Public officials and homeless advocates reached an agreement Tuesday on providing for homeless people who are being evicted from an encampment in a Southern California riverbed.

Orange County officials said they would use motels and other means to get 700 to 800 beds for the homeless driven from the encampment in Anaheim.

"We pledge up to 400 motel rooms, immediately," County Supervisor Andrew Do told the court, adding that the county would also add beds to other facilities and could put up a tent on a county-owned parking lot if space was needed.

Brooke Weitzman, an attorney for the plaintiffs seeking to stop the eviction, said she was concerned that the tent dwellers would not trust county officials' offer of help on such short notice, but U.S. District Court Judge David O. Carter told her notices would go up as soon as Wednesday and he trusted their word.

He said he suspected homeless residents who don't want help, and want to wander, will move elsewhere.

"If you want to solve this, this is the one opportunity we really have, all the county leaders and the city leaders in one place," Carter said, after officials emerged from four hours of talks.

The sides agreed that social workers would help the homeless find longer term housing after the initial relocation, which will take place in a week.

The deal came at the demand of Carter, who called the sides in for the unusual hearing on Tuesday and is known for summoning public officials for questioning.

He called on Orange County officials, veterans, women's advocates and others to step up and offer solutions for those living on the two-mile (3.2 kilometer) stretch of riverbed trail once popular with joggers and bikers that has been overrun by tents, trash and human waste.

Carter said he plans to visit the encampment on Wednesday morning.

Early in the hearing, he asked why temporary housing couldn't be built quickly, when he has seen villages built overnight with U.S. funding in Afghanistan.

"Where is the leadership to get this done in this county potentially? Where is the long-term solution here?" he asked.

The case is being watched by homeless advocates along the West Coast and elsewhere grappling with a rise in homelessness caused in part by soaring housing costs, rock-bottom vacancy rates and a roaring economy.

The ruling will only cover people living in the encampment near the stadium that hosts the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, but homeless advocates elsewhere might look to the case to make similar claims, experts said.

Orange County, home to 3.2 million people between Los Angeles and San Diego, started telling the homeless last month officials were closing the encampment of tents and tarps and offering to store belongings and help find shelter.

Homeless advocates sued and sought protection from the courts when they heard authorities were going to start citing or arresting people who refused to budge.

Carter temporarily blocked officials from making arrests.

During Tuesday's hearing, he peppered advocates and county workers with questions about programs, policies and budgets.

He said he believes Orange County has enough money to find a fix and should be spending it.

He also said a cluster of cities near the riverbed should help after pushing the homeless off their streets and sidewalks to the county-owned trail.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FILE- In this Aug. 5, 2015, file photo, actress Gwyneth Paltrow speaks during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. Harvey Weinstein has asked a judge to toss out a federal sexual misconduct lawsuit filed against him and he's invoking the words of Paltrow and other A-list actresses in his defense. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File)
Weinstein uses quotes from female celebrities in his defense
FILE- In this April 28, 2017 file photo, Dr. Salomon Melgen arrives at the federal courthouse in West Palm Beach, Fla. A federal judge is likely to sentence Melgen, a politically prominent Florida eye doctor to about two decades in prison for stealing $73 million in one of history's largest Medicare frauds. U.S. District Judge Kenneth Marra will sentence Melgen in West Palm Beach on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018. (Lannis Water/Palm Beach Post via AP, File)
Florida doctor facing long Medicare fraud sentence
Man gets prison time after plea in malnourished boy's deathA judge has sentenced a western Indiana man to five years in prison after he pleaded guilty to three counts of child neglect in connection with the death of a 9-year-old disabled boy who lived with him and his parents
Brazilian couple indicted for kidnapping in Texas caseA federal grand jury has indicted a Brazilian couple accused of helping their grandson from Texas illegally remain in Brazil after his mother allegedly violated a custody order in a divorce case
FILE - This Oct. 26, 2016, file photo shows a Twitter sign outside of the company's headquarters in San Francisco. A white nationalist advocate is suing Twitter for banning his account amid the company's recent crackdown on content it deems abusive. Jared Taylor filed the lawsuit Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2018, in a San Francisco state court. Taylor joins a growing list of extreme right wing groups and figures suing social media sites for banning their accounts and content. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu, File)
White nationalist is latest to sue over social media ban
Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, right, and President Donald Trump listen as Indiana Attorney General Curtis Hill speaks during a meeting with state and local officials to discuss school safety, in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018, in Washington. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Trump mulls pulling immigration agents from California
This component is currently unavailable.
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices